Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Next kitchen experiment

My auntie made a lovely dish the other day for dinner. I don’t know where she got the idea, it was the first time I’ve ever had it. But it was SOOOOO good! I’m really going to have to try to make it myself.

Shredded dried mushroom with pressed tofu!

Drumroll, please, I know you're impressed! So simple!


The tofu was still soft, but the mushroom shreds were crispy-chewy.
I think she dredged them in cornflour with salt and pepper, then deep fried them crispy before saucing them with garlic, ginger, oyster sauce, sugar, and Chekiang vinegar. A little hot chilipaste for zing, and then the pressed tofu added.
Minced green onion for a flash of bright color.


It was very good! I guess the tofu was added for contrast, but also when you think about it that there really isn’t much nutrition in dried black mushrooms – they’re mostly all about dense texture and flavor. Food, but not food.
Dinner was vegetarian, ‘cause auntie Ling really thinks it’s better for the soul to avoid meat.
Unlike uncle Willem and uncle Karel, she’s not a Calvinist. More like uncle Benedict – a freethinking skeptic and doubting Thomas.
Which is actually much nicer. Easier to get along with.
I don’t think Calvinists can even be vegetarian. Pity they can’t cook better.

When I make it, I'll add twice as much chili paste.


周小燕

No comments:

Post a Comment